Other Frequently Asked Questions and Information
Are the results of the police check sent to me?
- We will instruct the RCMP to send the results to the address you designate. You can select your personal address or the address of a Third Party.
- If the applicant is under 18 years of age, the results must be mailed directly to the applicant’s home address
Federal Employment and Contract Work with the Federal Government
- If you are required to obtain a background check for Federal Employment or to work for a company with a contract to provide goods and/or services to the Federal Government, you will be required to bring to your appointment an ORI (originating agency identifier) number.
- Following fingerprinting, we will provide you with a DCN number. You provide this DCN number to your employer. Your employer will link the DCN number to your employee profile on the company Public Works login. The RCMP will link the results of your background check to your employee profile. Therefore, the RCMP no longer mails out results for Federal Employment background checks.
- For more information, please check here: Personnel Security Screening for the Federal Government
Vulnerable Sector Search
- You must attend the Calgary Police Service if you need a Vulnerable Sector Search. Do NOT schedule a Vulnerable Sector Search with a private fingerprinting company. Click here for information on how to get a Vulnerable Sector Search with the Calgary Police:
- Not sure if you need a Vulnerable Sector Search? Check with the organization requesting you to get a background check. They need to tell you whether you need just a regular background check or if you need a Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Though it may not always be the case, a Vulnerable Sector Search is often required to volunteer or work with the vulnerable sector which includes children, disabled, sick and elderly.
RCMP Processing Times
- Select here: How long will it take for my ink or digital fingerprints to be processed in Canada?
- All fingerprinting agencies use the same technology that allows us to take and submit fingerprints to the RCMP instantly.
- RCMP handles all requests received on a first-come-first-serve basis. They do not accept requests for an emergency.
- No fingerprint agency can promise faster processing than another fingerprint agency.
What does a Criminal Record Check Reveal?
A fingerprint-based criminal record check completed in Canada reveals one of the following:
- confirmation that NO criminal record exists;
- criminal convictions and related information found in the RCMP database;
- pardoned or suspended criminal record (if ordered under the Privacy Act).
Related information may include:
- Discharges (which stay on your record for 1 year if absolute or 3 years if conditional);
- Withdrawn/Dismissed charges; and
- Stays of Proceedings.
- All local police voluntarily register most convictions and related information in the RCMP database.
- If the conviction is missing from the RCMP Criminal Record Search, the conviction may still be disclosed if you obtain a local police check based upon a search of your name and date of birth.
- Ordinarily, pending charges do not show up in a criminal record background check obtained through digital fingerprints.
- The RCMP may choose not to release the results of a background check while charges are pending.
- You may have to wait several months to obtain an RCMP background check until (a) the charges are concluded and withdrawn or dismissed, or (b) a conviction results and is subsequently registered on the RCMP database.
- This can be a big problem if someone with a similar name and date of birth has been charged but not yet fingerprinted and they share the same name and date of birth as you!
The best resource for getting a background check outside Canada is to check Citizenship and Immigration Canada Website. They provide instructions on how to get a background check for most countries in the world. Alternatively, check with the police force or Consulate of the Country you wish to obtain a background check. HOWEVER, if you need a set of ink fingerprints taken for the background check outside Canada and you live in or near Calgary, we can provide you with ink fingerprinting services.