Let’s begin by illustrating what a GOOD FINGERPRINT looks like. It is important that the center of the loop (circles) and the deltas (triangles) are legible.
Look below for fingerprints that would be rejected (unsuitable for conducting a criminal record background check). Reasons, why fingerprints are rejected, include:
- Pressed too lightly. (1)
- Pressed too hard. (2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9)
- Too much ink (may not be an issue if you don’t press too hard). (2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9)
- Not enough ink covering entire fingertip (3, 7)
- Fingertip to warm/sweaty. (2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
- Fingertip too dry. (7)
- Center loop and/or Deltas not legible. (All of them)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Question: Does each fingerprint need to be legible when requesting a background check in Canada?
Answer: No. However, to reduce the risk of rejection, it is useful if over half of all fingerprints are legible.
Question: What do I do if my fingerprints are unclassified (i.e. it is impossible to obtain fingerprints that are legible)?
Answer: Check the following blog: Unclassified Fingerprints
Tips on How to Reduce the Risk Your Fingerprints will be Rejected
There are many reasons why your fingerprints may be of poor quality or unclassified. They include:
- You have lots of wrinkles;
- Your fingerprint ridges are worn due to the type of work that you do;
- Your fingerprints are illegible due to medical condition;
- Your hands are very sweaty and cause your fingerprints to smudge easily;
- Your hands are very dry;
- Due to deformity, it was difficult to take clear fingerprints; or
- You have scars or missing fingers.
- Not enough pressure was applied (fingerprint too light);
- Too much pressure was applied (causing smudging);
- The fingerprint agent only took partial fingerprints (e.g. did not roll enough left to right); or
- Not enough ink was placed on the fingertips (fingerprint too light).
- Too much ink was placed on the fingertips (fingerprint too dark).
- If you have lots of wrinkles, worn ridges or dry hands, moisturize a lot before your appointment.
- You can even apply a generous amount of moisturizing cream to your hands before bed and sleep with gloves on to allow the moisturizer to absorb throughout the night.
- Mix sugar with moisturizing cream to add a bit of texture and massage your fingerprints gently.
- If your hands are sweaty, wipe them frequently while being fingerprinted. You can even cool them down in cold water or hold onto an icepack before being fingerprinted. But, be sure your hands are not wet when being fingerprinted.
- If your hands are sweaty, use a rag to dry your fingertips frequently while you are being fingerprinted.
- If you are tense, try and relax your fingers and wrist when being fingerprinted. Be sure to let the technician do all the work. If you are having a hard time relaxing, practice taking fingerprints a few times before you start having your fingerprints placed on the fingerprint form.
- If your fingerprints are hard to take, be sure to ask for a senior fingerprint technician.
I have tried all the moisturizing care and everything but the biometric system did not accept it. The personel told me that all may fingerprints displayed green lights, and they have no idea why their biomteric system is not accepting it. I am applying for sa Saudi Visa. Please help me..
same here. what did you do sis?
hi Abby, have you sorted out the issue of your fingerprints?
Sir my sister is mentally retarded. She closed 3 fingers of her left hand. No matter what we say, she will never open it. Will the visa center accept her biometrics for a tourist visa? I am trying to apply for USA visa for her.
I know that there are allowances made for physical limitations, if its impossible for her to unwrap her fingers then they might make an allowance, however if it’s possible to manually open them for her then they will want to do that to get as much coverage as possible.
I tried everything but the biometric system isn’t accepting my prints, I’m only 20 yet ny fingertips have some wrinkles and the ridges aren’t prominent. Will I still be able to get a visa if I provide a medical certificate or something?
I have been fingerprint two times for a job They say my prints are not readable or good enough. What’s my next option I really want to be back at work. firstname.lastname@example.org
PS please respond. Thank you
Mistakenly fingerprinted on the margin, is it disqualified?
The fingerprint regd with uidai is not getting verified when biometrics was done for rental LL agreement this year at the age of 64.But previous agreement done last year at the age of 63 was verified with uidai in the first attempt itself.
It is quite puzzling that is there a possibility of fingerprint change in just one year?
Could anyone clarify this point?
Thank you ❤️
I am a fingerprint technician…Fingerprints can change within a year but typically not dramatically. Dry hands, hands that are to moist, calloused hands, scars on the fingers, not rolling them enough from side to side, a shift in the fingerprint when rolled, etc can all contribute. Sometimes, even if the machine accepts it as okay, doesn’t mean much, honestly. The technician needs to review them for clarity and make sure the print has all the requirements. Hope that helps.